Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cooking Soul Mixtape Tribute to Michael Jackson The King of Pop



Cookin’ Soul Presents Michael Jackson: Tribute To The King Of Pop
Written By XXL Magazine Omar Mixtape Massacre Review
Brought to you by www.mixunit.com






On June 25, 2009 I was lamping on my homie’s stoop when someone screamed out, “Michael Jackson is dead!!!” Naturally I brushed it off as some fiend’s rant of his imaginary world. But not too long after that my hip was blowing up with news of the King of Pop’s passing. Me being a mixtape head I was already imagining the countless kinds of mixes and blends that were bound to flood the hood in the coming hours and days. Sure enough I counted at least two compilation mixtapes, three blends and 34 mixes so far. But I must say that I was amped to see Cookin’ Soul drop a MJ tribute of their own. For the past minute their creations and production have satisfied my hunger in a way Snickers never could (that’s my favorite chocolate bar too).

The premise on this one was to keep the original Michael Jackson songs in tact and add rappers verses to it in hopes of making it a street banger. First we have Kid Cudi’s “Day N Nite” verse on MJ’s “Beat It.” The sped up vocals and overall demeanor just didn’t mesh well with Mike’s “gangsta” hit. But CS bounced back with back-to-back bangers when he threw in 50’s 2nd verse from “Like My Style” over “Remember The Time” and made something that’ll have the dance floor violating countless fire codes and paired Luda with “Bad” to create something pretty damn decent. Not to mention blending Wayne’s verse with the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back.” Went together like peanut butter and jelly on a roll.

While I was disappointed with a few blends like Em’s “Real Slim Shady” verse tacked on to “Black or White” and Biggie’s “Nasty Boy” verse mixed into “Thriller” (“Rock With You” was pretty hot though), I was feeling the majority of the blends and the fact that this was a Michael Jackson mixtape. The blends were made to compliment his classics, not the other way around. CS didn’t try to add Neptunes production or a T-Pain hook into any of these songs. It was all Mike all day and until the end of time. Though Michael wasn’t the perfect human being, he was more than your average one. He was a showman who not only changed lives but literally changed the world through his music and his life. I just hope he finds the peace in his death that he could never find in his life. R.I.P. Michael Jackson.-The Infamous O

Hottest Joint: “Remember The Time” (feat. 50 Cent)
Weakest Joint: “Black or White”
Rating: HOOD

1 comment:

  1. nice one. I like Michael Jackson a lot, so, started collecting all the information related to him (more than 200 sites). If you are interested check out the below article
    http://markthispage.blogspot.com/2009/07/all-you-want-to-know-about-michael.html

    ReplyDelete